Masters in the Center

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Motorola Voice XML 2.0


night phone booth
Originally uploaded by isaidjon.
Wow! I just went through some Tutorials on Motorola's website for their VXML technology and I'm really excited about it! A company called Voxeo is providing free tutorials that show you how to develop your own voice applications.

The system is phone based, and interacts with people. Developers can program messages to be read to callers, and menus too. Menus... you know... like when you call your cell phone company and they say "Press or say 1 for English or 2 for Spanish". Voxeo gives you a phone number to call, after which you enter a PIN number to start listening to your application. Its really cool. I am hosting my own XML files, but Voxeo will host for you if you don't have a web server.

I've only got through the first two tutorials but I'm really impressed so far. The technology was explained rather simply, and the system was responsive and worked without any special tweaking. I didn't have to debug anything. I was listening to my first voice application in a matter of minutes, and even used it to send a love note to my girlfriend. In the first tutorial I learned how to create a "Hello World" application that will read any text you like when you call your assigned telephone number.

I've just scratched the surface of this new technology, and hope to create something truly useful very soon. I'm thinking about access to my blog over the phone. Or maybe headlines. Who knows. This system will read any text. Combining that with the internet, my head is spinning with the possibilities. Also, I did a little error testing. I turned my stereo way up while responding to a system prompt. The system still caught exactly what I said. Wow!

7 Comments:

  • At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just thought I would visit and ask if you might be interested in the Blog Submitter. If so stop by. Thanks!

    Blogger Boys

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Yuhua said…

    hey, man, it's Yuhua. Just stopped by and saw you were inputing new thought and learning new things everyday. I envy you, man. When you are working, you make a commitment and all you do is for the boss. I wish I can have more time to learn with you.
    Anyway, keep up the good work. Your blog help me learn, really.

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Yuhua said…

    hey, man, it's Yuhua. Just stopped by and saw you were inputing new thought and learning new things everyday. I envy you, man. When you are working, you make a commitment and all you do is for the boss. I wish I can have more time to learn with you.
    Anyway, keep up the good work. Your blog help me learn, really.

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was surfing through a few blogs and came across yours and wanted to say very nice job on the content, so I have bookmarked your site for future reference.

    Just in case you are interested I have a
    no credit check cellular phone
    site. It pretty much covers no credit check cellular phone
    related stuff.

    Stop by sometime :=)

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have been running my own site about asp net web hosting for some time now and I am only just getting into blogging.

    I did not realise that blogs could be so informative. I have browsing and reading all day -- Very addictive.

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about ftp web hosting related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just came across your Blog about free domain hosting and wanted to drop you a note to tell you how impressed I was with the information you have provided here. I also have a website and blog about free domain hosting I know what I am talking about when I say your is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the internet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home