Masters in the Center

Friday, November 25, 2005

Folding @ Home

Folding @ Home is a collaborative (distributed) computing project to find a cure for various diseases including Alzheimer's, Cancer, Huntington's, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Parkinson's. The project is based on simulations of protein folding. Proteins are long but microscopic chains of nucleotides that fold in many ways to create function structures within our bodies. There are some diseases that develop based on the way these proteins fold. Scientists are using computer models to analyze the way that a protein folds. The goal is to find cure's for the diseases mentioned above. Who knows if they'll actually get it, but I run the program on my computers because I've got to hope that it's helping something worthwhile. I mean, a cure for cancer??? alzheimer's?? I'm willing to contribute my computer's extra time to that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home